Introduction to Air Cargo
This programme is designed for new entrants to the cargo industry and will be of particular interest to those employed in freight forwarding, airlines, cargo handling or the shipping departments of major exporters.
The programme has two elements and may be taken as a single course or each element may be taken separately. The first part of the course concentrates on the basic understanding of the industry (3 days) - see a summary of content below. The second part of the course covers an introduction to rating.
The duration of the programme is 5 days which comprises 3 days for the procedures and operation of the industry and 2 days for basic rating.
Students undertaking this programme will learn:
PART 1 - Procedures and Operations (Days 1-3)
- IATA geography
- The airwaybill
- The operation of freight forwarders
- The operation of airline cargo units
- How to read cargo manuals
- Cargo in-flight operational requirements
- Legal requirements
PART 2 - Basic Rating (Days 4 & 5)
- An introduction to rating
- How to make reservations and arrangements for the transport of international cargo by air
- How to calculate rates and charges
- How to complete airway bills in accordance with IATA standards